Nota Bene Podcast Episode 132: Business Bankruptcy Trends in 2021 with Ori Katz (Podcast) – Insolvency / Bankruptcy / Restructuring
United States: Nota Bene Podcast Episode 132: Business Bankruptcy Trends in 2021 with Ori Katz (Podcast)
To print this article, simply register or connect to Mondaq.com.
The start of 2021 saw a decline in corporate bankruptcy filings, unlike the increase in the number of filings linked to the corona virus observed in 2020. Will this trend continue? Or will bankruptcy filings resume as more businesses struggle to recover from the effects of the pandemic? Lawyer and bankruptcy expert Ori Katz joins me to explore bankruptcy trends in 2021 in the business world. Ori shares his take on the intricacies of corporate bankruptcies and the popular sales of 363 bankruptcies.
Ori Katz is a Partner and Practice Group Leader of the Finance and Bankruptcy Practice Group in Sheppard Mullin’s San Francisco office. Ori specializes in corporate bankruptcies and other aspects of insolvency law. He has represented debtors, individual creditors, creditors committees, parties purchasing assets in bankruptcy and parties involved in bankruptcy litigation. He has successfully reorganized companies in a wide range of industries including real estate, retail, construction, biotechnology, telecommunications, media and the Internet. He has also represented lenders in receivership, loan reorganizations, restructurings, foreclosures and bankruptcies of borrowers, and acted as a reorganization advisor on various appointments. Ori is a frequent speaker on bankruptcy and insolvency law issues.
Thank you for your attention! Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the show to receive each new episode straight to your podcast player each week.
If you liked this episode, please help spread the word about this podcast. Rate and comment on this show in Apple podcasts, Amazon Music, Radio stitcher, Google podcasts, or Spotify. It helps other listeners find that show.
What we discussed in this episode:
- What are some of the top trends in corporate bankruptcy filings?
- Which industries have been strongly affected by the pandemic?
- Will there be a “new normal” for businesses emerging from the pandemic?
- A brief overview of the American bankruptcy system
- What is involved in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing and a Chapter 11?
- Is there a litmus test to complete before declaring bankruptcy?
- What is a 363 bankruptcy sale and what is the process for this type of proceeding?
- What is a “stalking horse offer” and how is it used in bankruptcy proceedings?
- Is the stigma surrounding bankruptcies, especially 363 sales, disappearing?
- Is there an advantage in being a stalking horse bidder?
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide on the subject. Specialist advice should be sought regarding your particular situation.
POPULAR POSTS ON: Insolvency / Bankruptcy / Restructuring from the United States